Good Friday / Вялікая Пятніца

In commemoration of Good Friday.  З нагоды Вялікай Пятніцы.

Stations of the Cross:  the Lamentation of Christ, church of the Archangel Michael, Bjelahruda 2014.  Крыжовы шлях:  Аплакваньне Хрыста, касьцёл Сьвятога Міхала Арханёла, Белагруда 2014 год.

Photo of the Day for April 17, 2014

Holy Thursday, Tsjerablichy 2012.  Вялікі чацьвер, Цераблічы 2012 год.

Photo of the Day for April 16, 2014

Portraits of Mjensk (part XV): Along the River S’vislach, April 2012.  Партрэты Менску (частка XV):  уздоўж р. Сьвіслач, красавік 2012 год.

Photo of the Day for April 15, 2014

From a mid-January photo survey of the patrimony of north-eastern Valozhyn District.  З вандроўкі па спадчыне паўночна-усходняй Валожыншчыны.

View toward the Orthodox church of St. George (1856), Losk, January 2014.  Выгляд на царкву Сьвятога Георгія (1856 г.), Лоск, студзень 2014 г.

Photo of the Day for April 14, 2014

From a mid-January photo survey of the patrimony of north-eastern Valozhyn District.  З вандроўкі па спадчыне паўночна-усходняй Валожыншчыны.

Although only a few miles from the busy Mjensk-Vilnius highway, the tranquil village of Losk (population about 400) is now well off the beaten path.  Yet from the late 15th century until the partitions of Poland at the end of the 18th century, Losk was the seat of a series of powerful magnates in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and subsequently the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.   These magnates’ power was reflected in the castle fortress which stood on a huge man-made mound at the southern end of the village.  The fortress was demolished by the Russian imperial authorities after the partitions.  The mound still stands in mute testimony to what once was.

Losk was the site of the second printing press of the renowned 16th-century Protestant anti-Trinitarian preacher, theologian and philosopher Simon Budny (Сымон Будны), one of the key figures in the consolidation of literary Belarusian.  At this press in 1574 Budny published his translation of the New Testament with commentaries as well as several anti-Trinitarian works, all of which garnered interest throughout Europe.

Losk castle mound 2014.  Замчышча ў Лоску, студзень 2014 г.

View from Losk’s main street across the narrow bottom-land (lashchyna – лашчына) from which the village apparently gets its name.  Выгляд з галоўнай вуліцы вёскі праз лашчыну (адкуль, здаецца, вёска атрымала сваю назву).

A Prayer for Ukraine / Малітва за Ўкраіну / Молитва за Україну

Mother of God of the Unwilting Flower, 19th-century folk ikon from the Cherkassy Region of Central Ukraine (from a private collection).

Багародзіца нявянучай кветкі, украінскі народны абраз з Чэркашчыны, 19-а ст (з прыватнай калекцыі).

Богородиця Нев’янучий квіт, Черкащина, 19-ого ст (з приватної колекції).

 

 

Photos of the Day for April 13, 2014

From a mid-January photo survey of the patrimony of north-eastern Valozhyn District.  З вандроўкі па спадчыне паўночна-усходняй Валожыншчыны.

Churches of Belarus (part LXVI):  Roman Catholic church of the Sacred Heart (1924 or 1930), Losk, January 2014.  Losk’s parish was founded in 1480.  The Soviet authorities closed the existing church in 1959 and turned the building into a storehouse for the local collective farm.  The parish is now being reestablished but the building unfortunately remains closed and in decay.

Касьцёлы Беларусі (частка LXVI):  касьцёл Найсьвяцейшага Сэрца Езуса (1924 ці 1930 г.), Лоск, студзень 2014 г.  Парафіа была заснавана ў 1480 г.  Савецкая ўлада зачыніла гэты храм у 1959 г. і прыстасоўваў яго пад калхаснае сховішча.  Касьцёл не дзейнічае, але парафія ўзнаўлаецца.

Former Rectory.  Былая плябанія.

Photo of the Day for April 12, 2014

From a mid-January photo survey of the patrimony of north-eastern Valozhyn District.  З вандроўкі па спадчыне паўночна-усходняй Валожыншчыны.

Churches of Belarus (part LXV):  Orthodox church of the Protection of the Holy Mother of God (1866), Harodz’ki, January 2014.  This is another example of the so-called Muravjouki (Муравёўкі).  These churches were built by the Moscow Patriarchate in concert with the Russian imperial authorities’ ruthless Russification policies after the defeat of the Polish-Belarusian-Lithuanian uprising of 1863-64.  The Harodz’ki church has fine stonework.  Regrettably the original domes have been replaced by gold onion domes, which have nothing to do with the Belarusian national architectural tradition or even the tradition in which the church was originally built.

Цэрквы Беларусі (частка LXV):  царква Покрыва Прасьвятой Багародзіцы (1866 г.), Гародзькі, студзень 2014 г.

Photo of the Day for April 11, 2014

From a mid-January photo survey of the patrimony of north-eastern Valozhyn District.  З вандроўкі па спадчыне паўночна-усходняй Валожыншчыны.

Ice-fishing on the Western Bjarezina River (Zakhodnaja Bjarezina – Заходная Бярэзіна).  Belarusians cherish the opportunity to fish, as much to enjoy the freedom to be themselves with their own thoughts as to haul in a fish.

Рыбалка на Заходняй Бярэзіне, студзень 2014 г.

Photos of the Day for April 10, 2014

From a mid-January photo survey of the patrimony of north-eastern Valozhyn District.  З вандроўкі па спадчыне паўночна-усходняй Валожыншчыны.

Churches of Belarus (part LXIII):  Orthodox church of the Annunciation (1867), Zabrez’zje, January 2014.  This church, nestled in a grove of trees, is another example of the so-called Muravjouki (Муравёўкі).  These churches were built by the Moscow Patriarchate in concert with the oppressive Russification policies of the Russian imperial authorities after the defeat of the Polish-Belarusian-Lithuanian uprising of 1863-64.

Цэрквы Беларусі (частка LXIII):  царква Дабравешчаньня Прасьвятой Багародзіцы (1867), Забрэзьзе, студзень 2014 г.

Churches of Belarus (part LXIV):  Roman Catholic church of the Holy Trinity (transformed 1997-99 from a commercial building), Zabrez’zje, January 2014.  Although this church is not architecturally distinguished, it is welcome evidence of the revival of Roman Catholic parishes in Belarus.

Касьцёлы Беларусі (частка LXIV):  касьцёл Сьвятой Тройцы (перабудаваны 1997-99 гг. з былога магазіну), Забрэзьзе, студзень 2014 г.