Photos of the Day for March 21, 2016

March 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Roadside shrines of Vjaljejka District (I/II).  Прыдарожныя капліцы Вялейскага раёну (І/ІІ).

A wanderer finds comfort at the roadside shrines, dedicated most often to the Blessed Virgin Mary, in areas of northern and northwestern Belarus with a historically strong Roman Catholic presence.

I took the first two photos during photo expeditions to and through Vjaljejka District in 2012, and returned to the district in January 2016 to photograph several other shrines.

Першыя два прыдарожныя капліцы паздымаў пры фотавандроўкаў па Вялейскім раёне ў 2012 г.  У студзені 2016 г. зробіў новую фотаэкспедыцыю па Вялейшчыне, каб паздымаць цэлы шэраг іншых прыдарожных капліц.

Marian shrine, Vojstam 2012.  Прыдарожная капліца Найсьвяцейшай Панне Марыі, Воцстам 2012 г.

Roadside shrine, Milutsi 2012.  Прыдарожная капліца, Мілуці 2012 г.

 

Roadside shrine, Ruskaje Sjalo 2016.  Прыдарожная капліца, Рускае Сяло 2016 г.

Photo of the Day for March 20, 2016

March 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Oak trees along the Mjensk-Mjadzjel’ road.  Dzjaniski 2016.  Любімыя дубы ўздоўж Р58 Менск-Мядзель.  Дзяніскі 2016 г.

Photo of the Day for March 19, 2016

March 18, 2016 7:00 pm

To commemorate the feast of St. Joseph.  З нагоды Сьв. Юзафа.

Churches of Belarus (part CXLII):  Roman Catholic church of St. Joseph (1906-08), Rubjazhevichy 2016.

Касьцёлы Беларусі (частка CXLII):  касьцёл Сьв. Юзафа (1906-08), Рубяжэвічы 2016 г.

In Memory of Granny Vul’ljana / У памяці бабулечкі Вульляны

March 17, 2016 7:01 pm

It was a year ago, on March 18, 2015, that beloved Granny Vul’ljana died (see commemorative post on March 18, 2015).  Our thoughts are with her family, relatives and friends.  We miss her terribly — may she rest in peace in the Lord’s embrace.

Бабулечка Вульляна памерла год таму, 18-га сакавіка 2015 г (гл. такасама запіс і партрэты з памятнай старонкі 18-га сакавіка 2015 г.).  Думаем пра яе сям’ю, сваякоў і сяброў.  Яе моцна не хапае.  Вечны сьвет і супакой дай ёй, Божа.  Цябе просім.

Photos of the Day for March 18, 2016

March 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Photo expedition to Ashmjany and Smarhon’ Districts (XVI/XVI):  Baruny 2016.

Фотавандроўка па Ашмянскім і Смаргоньскім раёнах (XVI/XVI):  Баруны 2016 г.

 

World War I cemeteries (part III):  graves of soldiers from the German and Russian imperial armies.  As in other cases in Belarusian territories incorporated into the interwar Polish Republic (see photo of the day for Dec. 1, 2015), Polish authorities carefully reburied remains of German and Russian (Russian imperial army) soldiers, erected proper crosses, and maintained the cemeteries.  The second photo shows a cross erected by the Polish authorities; the inscription in Polish reads “Unknown Russian soldier, died June 10, 1916”.

Могілкі вясковыя 1-й сусьветнай вайны (частка III):  могілкі салдатаў з нямецкай імперскай і расейскай імперскай армій.  Польская ўрада перарасклала могілкі, паставіла крыжы ды даглядала за імі пры другай Польскай Рэспубліцы — зьвяртайце ўвагу на надпіс па-польску на другім фотаздымку:  “Nieznany Żołn. Ros. ✟ 10.6.16”

 

Baruny cemetery in heavy frost.  Могілкі ў Барунах пры вялікім марозу.

Photos of the Day for March 17, 2016

March 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Photo expedition to Ashmjany and Smarhon’ Districts (XV/XVI):  Baruny 2016.

Фотавандроўка па Ашмянскім і Смаргоньскім раёнах (XV/XVI):  Баруны 2016 г.

 

Churches of Belarus (part CXLI):  Roman Catholic (originally Greek Catholic) church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul (1747-56).

Касьцёлы Беларусі (частка CXLI):  касьцёл (былая базыльянская царква) Сьвятых апосталаў Пятра й Паўла (1747-56).

 

Former Basilian monastery attached to the church.  The Basilians in the Polish Commonwealth were a Greek-Catholic order which flourished after the Union of Brest (1595-96), when the eastern Orthodox church in the Belarusian and Ukrainian lands broke with the Eastern Orthodox church and entered into communion with Rome.

Корпус былога базыльянскага манастыра.

Photo of the Day for March 16, 2016

March 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Photo expedition to Ashmjany and Smarhon’ Districts (XIV/XVI):  Staryja Baruny 2016.

Фотавандроўка па Ашмянскім і Смаргоньскім раёнах (XIV/XVI):  Старыя Баруны 2016 г.

 

Crosses of Belarus (part XLIV).  Крыжы Беларусі (частка XLIV).

Photos of the Day for March 15, 2016

March 14, 2016 7:00 pm

Photo expedition to Ashmjany and Smarhon’ Districts (XIII/XVI):  Along the Kreva-Baruny road 2016.

Фотавандроўка па Ашмянскім і Смаргоньскім раёнах (XIII/XVI):  ўздоўж дарогі Крэва-Баруны 2016 г.

Photos of the Day for March 14, 2016

March 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Photo expedition to Smarhon’ and Ashmjany Districts (XII/XVI):  Kreva 2016.

Фотавандроўка па Смаргоньскім і Ашмянскім раёнах (XII/XVI):  Крэва 2016 г.

 

Ruins of Kreva castle, built in the 1330’s by Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas.  In 1385 Kreva was the site of one of the most important treaties in European history, the union between the Grand Duchy of Lithuania under Jagielo and the Polish crown, whose queen Jadwiga was betrothed to Jagielo. This union led to what was one of Europe’s most powerful and largest states in the late 16th-early 17th centuries, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.  It is regrettable that the Belarusian authorities have done little to preserve and promote the remaining ruins.

Руіны крэўскага замка.

 

Three traditional houses from the interwar period, when this part of Belarus was incorporated into the Polish Republic.  In the first photo the house in question is the farthest to the right.

Тры традыцышныя хаты з міжваеннага пэрыяду (у першым фотаздымку першая хата зправа).

Photos of the Day for March 13, 2016

March 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Photo expedition to Smarhon’ and Ashmjany Districts (XI/XVI):  Kreva 2016.

Фотавандроўка па Смаргоньскім і Ашмянскім раёнах (XI/XVI):  Крэва 2016 г.

 

View toward Kreva and its Roman Catholic church from the Mjensk-Vilnius highway.  Від на Крэва й крэўскі касьцёл з дарогі Менск-Вільня.

 

Churches of Belarus (part CXL):  Roman Catholic church of the Transfiguration (1995-97).  Касьцёлы Беларусі (частка CXL):  касьцёл Перамяненьня Пана (1995-97).

 

In this 2001 photo one can see to the left of the current church the carcass of the wooden 1930s church which the Soviet regime stripped of its twin towers and turned into a hospital.  The wooden building was demolished in 2003.

На гэтым фотаздымку з 2001 г. налева ад касьцёла можна бачыць драўляны корпус былага касьцёла з 1930-ых гадоў, які савецкі рэжым ператварылі ў шпіталь.  Будынак разабралі ў 2003 г.